- These first two are totally dependant on planning and organization. We spend less in these areas when I plan and organize. I would say this is true in all areas of spending! Food! Food is a biggie here. With so many mouths to feed and two growing boys , there is a lot of food coming in and quickly being eaten. "What's to eat, Mom?", "What's for ......breakfast, lunch, dinner?" echoed over and over! It's nice when I actually have an answer, and I usually do, because I have a menu plan and shop accordingly. But when things don't go as planned food is a huge budget buster! Feeding so many with take-out, even the dollar menu is expensive. I always think in terms of how many groceries I could buy when we have to spend extra. I need to do a better job in planning for times when I need a quick meal and we could save more in this area. I have said, it's a shame we can't eat toothpaste and shampoo, hee-hee! Fellow CVS'ers will know what I mean!
- The second is clothing. When we aren't organized, it is so hard to know what we have and what we need. It is so nice to pull out a well labeled tote of size 2 summer clothes when you need it for the next in line, but it doesn't always work out that way! Having five girls in a row, organization of shoes and clothes can and has saved a tremendous amount of money as they "hand down". I am a "sucker" when it comes to dresses. It is so hard not to add to our dress collection. We have been blessed over the years with a huge collection of dresses. I love having them and try to resist the urge to buy more....I just remind myself..."Tommy's gonna kill me if I buy another dress...OH, this would be so cute on...But, Tommy's gonna...." You get the idea?!
- Heating and cooling a 4000 square foot house....enough said!
- Hobbies can be a budget buster. Photo supplies and scrapbooking, I love it! I have a small fortune in supplies and little to show for it! Someday I will get it done, I love scrapbooking and if someone can tell me how to get it done with so many littles, please share! Oh, one more thing, babies, sweet babies, another "hobby" of mine:0) I love all the stuff that comes with babies. I have learned to keep it simple in this area, but I have to resist the urge to buy baby things. It helps that I am a home-body and don't shop much!
- Lastly, having three babies and moving twice in the last four years has been expensive. I'm not complaining...I love my babies and the moves were job related and God is good to us. We have everything we need and a lot more! I have been blessed with a very hard working husband and I have never had to worry about money.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Sunday, April 27, 2008
So now I have a question for you. Should I put up a clothesline? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Kroger had another good sale on cereal and granola bars. I loved getting this for the kids because we are really busy with three in sports right now! Total at Kroger after coupons...$44 and change. (Some fruit not pictured, we had already put it away!)
I'm not a huge fan of Walgreen's yet, but last week a deal there on Aveeno products caught my eye and my coupons! I earned $10 in register rewards. This was a big help for the end of the month budget and I got four dozen eggs and milk for $.44 with that coupon!
Thursday, April 24, 2008
This past Christmas we chose a boy between ten and fourteen. It is a fun challenge to see how much you can fit into a shoe box. We included toothpaste,a toothbrush, paper, pencils, a pencil sharpener, sun glasses, soap, a wash cloth, index cards, hard candy, gum, and of course a baseball! All of this fit in a Rubbermaid shoe box so "our kid" could store his things for a long time! We also wrote our kid a letter to be sent in his box. We prayed for our kid and dropped it off at our "church across the street." This is the church that we visit for their Saturday night service!
We received a letter from our "kid" this week, exciting mail all the way from Zambia, Africa...Our "kid's" name is Webby and his letter said this...
Thank you very much for the gifts you send to me in the shoe box, God bless you richly as you are doing the work of God. You know men of God. It's not easy to send something to someone whom you don't know, but God made it simple and easy because you have the true love of Christ in your heart. Greetings to all your family. You are good people, I enjoyed your gifts. All my family are praying for you, and we would love to hear from you soon.
Pass my love greetings to all who love the Lord Jesus Christ and all church members tell them that God loves them.
Yours in the master's service,
We were blessed by his kind words. His letter made my day! What else can I say, he said it all so well.
Monday, April 21, 2008
The top of the steps
"Piles" in the dining room floor (We had to move it off the table to eat:)
We had a good, busy day and we will tackle that dining room pile tomorrow. I don't think it is as bad it looks. Most of it is probably trash! Have a good night!
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Saturday, April 19, 2008
I love splashing at bath time....
I catch a ride whenever I can....
I love (no kidding) watching Survivor Man with Big Bro Jacob....(Papa, we could use some new shows:)
Another great week at CVS. My new goals with CVS shopping are to not spend more that change on each transaction and to get things we need. This was a good week! I was able to purchase diapers, detergent, soap, allergy medicine (for Anna, poor thing), milk (not pictured) and vinegar. I bought bubbles for the babies and M&M's for Tommy! He is sharing with us too:0) It is nice to be able to get needed items and treats too! Almond M&M's are the bomb! Anna is in coupon training. She helped with the big trip in the third picture. Our favorite sweet cashier even gave her a candy bar, which made the shopping experience all that much "sweeter". All this for $2.22 off our gift card and $27 Extra Care Bucks for next week!
If you want to learn more about CVS shopping read more at Money Saving Mom! And I'm a Superstar at Denise's site!
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Monday, April 14, 2008
I will not forget the feeling in my stomach as I heard the news start to be reported and dropping to my knees to pray. We live about 35 minutes from Tech where Tommy graduated and I have family that works on campus and many that live close by. We will not forget!
Friday, April 11, 2008
Wendy..."Why is she smiling?"
Me..."Because she is happy."
Wendy.."I love Rose."
Me..."Yes, me too."
Wendy..."I don't want a baby in my house."
Wendy..."We could give her away, and what would you say?"
Me..."I would be sad."
Wendy...(with a big smile)"We could give her to Nana and what would you say?"
Me...."Nana would be happy!"
Wendy..."Would you cry, Mama?"
Me..."Yes. A lot."
Pause and much thought...
Wendy..."Mama, you can keep her. I love Rose."
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Saturday, April 5, 2008
The first four pictures are of my four orders at CVS this week. I am very pleased with these purchases. I was able to buy things that are very useful and not a lot of "extra that we already have in the closet! Here's just a quick run-down...I did four separate orders purchasing what is in each picture, but these are the bottom line totals...
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Maybe by the first of next week I will have all photos copied to discs and will feel safer using the computer. I am looking forward to posting about baby Rose (it has been a while since doing an update on her) and a great recipe I want to share. I also want to post on Wendy's 4th birthday and our trip to Maryland to see my new nephew!
'Be back soon.....