Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole


This meal has become a favorite for us. A sweet family at church brought us this meal after Rose was born. I found this recipe and made a few changes to make it a little lower fat and a "hair" cheaper.
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
  • 5 cups of cooked, diced chicken (I have used a rotisserie chicken and skinless boneless chicken)
  • 1 can of Cambell's healthy request cream of chicken soup
  • plus one can of milk
  • 16 ounces of sour cream
  • one tablespoon poppy seeds
  • one sleeve of Ritz crackers, crushed
  • 1/4 cup melted butter

Directions...

  1. preheat oven to 350
  2. combine the first five ingredients
  3. pour into 13x9 casserole dish
  4. cover with crushed crackers and drizzle with butter
  5. bake 30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and crackers are golden brown

We serve this over rice so it's more filling. We could easily eat two pans:)

4 comments:

Monica said...

Looks like a yummy dish. We'll have to try it!

Kirstin said...

I make a dish very similar to this, but there is an addition. Rice a roni. When I make it,(for our family of 4 in a 13 x 9 pan) I cook one box of rice a roni (chicken and herb flavored), then combine it with the chicken and cream mixture, put it in the pan and top with the cracker topping and bake. Yummy!!

My Blessings From Above said...

We love this dish! It is so yummy isn't it?

busymomof10 said...

My family loves this recipe too! I add slivered almonds to the topping, and use whole wheat saltines instead of Ritz crackers. We also serve over rice, which I make using the broth from cooking the chicken, and sometimes layer in a casserole dish with the poppy seed chicken on top. Yum! Makes me want to make some!